Last night was not fun. It’s never a good time at the emergency vet’s at 10 o’clock on a Sunday night.
The three of us spent the entire weekend outside, working on the deck, cleaning up the yard. Molly was in pup heaven, frolicking outdoors all day, sleeping soundly at night. Then last night around 7:30, I noticed that Molly was awfully fidgety and scratching at her eyes a lot. Our house is always dim and I couldn’t see anything bothering her, but I felt something on her eyebrow so I brought her into the bathroom where the light is brighter and noticed immediately that her poor puppy face was completely swollen. It wasn’t something on her eyebrow that I felt, it was her eyebrow, all puffy and big. Her eyelids were swollen into tiny slits, her lips and nose were so swollen, she looked terrible. I called the emergency vet and asked if there was something at home I could give her, rather than go to the emergency clinic where I know the fee is double after-hours. She told me that they might be able to prescribe Benadryl, but then again maybe she’d need a steroid shot and so she booked be an appointment at 10pm. From 7:30 to 10 I watched her and poked her to make sure she was breathing. The swelling got worse about a half hour after I got off the phone with the vet, but then I put cold cloths on her face and she settled down and fell asleep and the swelling seemed to level out.
At this point I should mention that I cannot stand to look at someone who is swollen. In an emergency, if you gave me the choice of looking after the person who was missing and arm and bleeding all over, or the person who was having an allergic reaction and swelling like a balloon, I’d choose the bleeder. I get faint looking at a swollen face (or arm, or leg…) I can’t explain it, but it’s rather annoying. Particularly with a husband who is allergic to bee stings, and now a dog who may be as well.
That reminds me that at this point in the evening, I had no clue why Molly was swollen. Did she eat something? Did she get stung or bitten? I was trying desperately to remember what was she was doing before we cam in for the evening, but she has free run of the yard. I don’t always know what she’s doing or what she’s getting into. I was terrified.
So 10pm rolled around and we were at the emergency vet’s. They were very nice, and sadly, they were very busy that night. A dog in the back was yelping and screaming, that wasn’t good to hear and didn’t help my trying to tell molly that everything would be fine. The doctor checked her over and diagnosed her as very sweet and extremely cute and probably suffering from a bee sting. She got a shot of Benadryl and a steroid and we went home where Molly flopped on the couch and snored, and I felt relieved knowing that she was mostly OK, still looking swollen and sad, but able to breathe, at least.
I wanted to take a picture of her mid-swell, but due to the afore mentioned swelling aversion, and the fact that my heart broke into pieces whenever she looked at me through swollen lids, I just couldn’t. Take my word for it – it was both terrible and sad. This morning she’s much better. Barely swollen but still groggy from the Benadryl. Thank goodness my pup is OK.
So what did I learn from the horrible experience? Well, 1.) bees are out in March – who would expect that? 2.) when fearing for the life of your beloved pup, an emergency office visit fee of $95 will sound quite reasonable, 3.) the same Benadryl you take, yourself, can be given to your dog (21-lb Molly gets 25mg every 12 hours), and 4.) Molly really is the best dog ever. She kissed the lady who took her temperature, she kissed the lady who took her in the back to have a shot, and she played (swollen-faced and all) with the ladies at the desk as I payed the bill. She’s so sweet. If I were her, I would have definitely taken someone’s hand off at some point last night.